You can Make a Difference with just a small amount of time!
Support the Hayward Community Action Network (CAN) and South Hayward Parish with a daily click of your mouse. Vote for our Homeless Angels project at www.refresheverything.com/homelessangels
What’s It All About?
We have been approved to compete in this month’s Pepsi Refresh Project. In order to win $5,000 for our Homeless Angels Project, we need everyone to vote for our project, EVERY DAY.
When asked to identify solutions to homelessness, the primary recommendation of those on the street was “Jobs.” Based on the interests and abilities of those involved in CAN, we launched four job training/creation opportunities earlier this year: Computer skills training, Urban Farming, Sewing and alterations classes, and Beading, jewelry, and art making. All opportunities are lead by community volunteers, including some individuals who are homeless and/or low income, who share their expertise with their peers.
The beading and jewelry component came out of a simple request during a CAN program. “Teach me?”
Not only was the answer, “Yes”, but the response from the community and donors has been invigorating. On any Tuesday or Wednesday, (regular Hayward CAN program hours) two to ten CAN members sit around the office’s kitchen table making jewelry, key chains, bookmarks, and more. Those with more experience teach, those with ideas, share them, and those in need, find support. We have found that the opportunity to develop marketing plans, implement plans and ideas, and even, work through the frustrations of the creative process are inspiring people to overcome their personal obstacles to self-sufficiency. “I can’t remember the last time I worked an 8 hour day,” said one artist. “Maybe things can be different for me.”
“This program gives me a reason to get up in the morning,” said another. “It gives me hope!”
Ready to join in?
1. Go to http://www.refresheverything.com/homelessangels and click on “Vote for this idea”
2. You will be asked to “Sign in with Pepsi”. If you have an account, please sign in and your vote will be counted and you can go on with the rest of your day.
If this visit is your first time to vote, please see step 5 below.
3. Spread the word. Forward this article along to as many people as possible and encourage them to vote too. Put a notice in your congregation or club bulletin, tell a friend or six…
3. Tomorrow, repeat steps one and two!
4. The next day… Repeat steps, one and two… and so on until August 31.
**AN EASY WAY TO REMEMBER TO VOTE EACH DAY IS TO SET YOUR HOME PAGE TO
5. To make your vote count, you need to create a sign in for this website.
Sorry, but it’s how they keep it fair for all. You will not receive spam from Pepsi and there is no cost. To set up your account:
a. When you click “Vote for this Idea” you will see a sign in box.
b. Click “Sign up” next to “Want a Pepsi account?
c. Answer the questions. Create a password you will remember.
d. Check your email to complete the registration process.
Thank you for your support!