Due to resource constraints, through the end of the “winter season”, which ends April 30, the winter warming shelter will be open only on nights when rain is expected or the temperature is expected to fall below 45 degrees F. After April 30, the shelter will close until next winter.
There is so much behind the scenes work needed to make this happen. Can you or someone you know help with these things?
1. Need help washing blankets: Can you volunteer to help wash a few blankets? These are light weight twin size. Washing needs to happen each night the shelter opens. While there may be quite a few blankets, remember, if we work together, the wash load doesn’t have to be heavy.
2. Assistance in the evening when the shelter is open. On evenings the shelter is open, we need volunteers from 5:30 to 8:30 to
- greet people at 5:30 pm
- setup tables & chairs for dinner
- set up mats & blankets
- help with dinner prep & serve dinner
- clean up kitchen after dinner
In the morning, we need people to take blankets, wash them, and then return the clean blankets.
3. Food-Dinner for one night: Can you cook a casserole or two? SHP has freezers so you can bring a meal that can be warmed up.
Call South Hayward Parish and sign up to help, (510) 785-3663
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
or fill out our Contact Form
“Together, we can make a difference for those who have only known homelessness.”